Piaget's Cognitive Development
Like: How Piaget explain what happens when we learn new information and it does not match the old.
Dislike: His stages are bound to age and I believe you can be in multiple stages at one time.
Vygotsky's Cognitive Development
Like: How children can be scaffolded through different zones of development. With work students can achieve difficult material.
Dislike: Yet it seems constricting that individuals are not allowed to discover information on their own.
Erikson's Psychosocial Development
Like: How I really understand this model and that it can happen at all stages of life.
Dislike: Erikson should have indicated that these stages can happen at any time and can go back and repeat due to situations.
Kohlberg's Moral Development
Like: Showing the progressing through life and morals. We develop our own ethics.
Dislike: It’s almost impossible to move through all the stages of moral development. It seems overwhelming.
Goleman's Emotional Intelligence
Like: I like how it indicates better communication and healthy relationships.
Dislike: It is very broad and almost anything can be accepted under emotional intelligence.
Information Processing
Like: How breaking down the process how our brain processes and stores information.
Dislike: I don't think I will ever sit in class and go through this process in my head. I don't think this is 100% practical for me.
Knowledge Construction and Higher-order thinking
Like: Students can be reached that are on different cognitive levels. These way students aren't just always recalling information. Critical thinking happens.
Dislike: Some students will never be able to reach higher levels. They will have disabilities and this is not practical for them to move all the way through higher order thinking.
Behaviorism
Like: This logically makes a lot of since to me. We learn by seeing from our different experiences.
Dislike: Your results can not be measured.
Social Cognitivism
Like: It's working and learning from others. This sounds like real life. The work force!
Dislike: I don't have any dislikes besides some stuff does seem a little redundant when working in groups how to evaluate.
Group and Individual Differences
Like: All students are different and learn in their each own individuals ways.
Dislike: It seems overwhelming trying to meet all the needs of your students. Not always practical.
Motivation
Like: Interest and goals has a huge impact on student motivation.
Dislike: Mastery and performance goals. They are true, but I just don't like thinking about it I guess.
Decide how you think people learn and discuss specific ways that your theory will impact your teaching.
I believe people learn from others! Social Constructivism is very relevant to my way of learning. Group work is essential. We work together in life and we should work together in the classroom. This also allows for students to be paired with each other that might be on different cognitive levels. They then are able to teacher one another. Also, my beliefs on peer teaching are that students might be able to teach information better than I can. They can present the information in a different manner. Everyone learns differently, but group work will be a big part of my classroom.
What?
My results from the quiz indicated that I was close with Constructivism and Higher-Order Thinking. My scores where B: 31, C: 35, H: 36. In my opinion, this relates the best to how I learn personal. Once I learn new material I am always trying to relate it to information that I already have and I love working in groups. I enjoy listening and getting new ideas from people. This has helped a lot being in the education program compared to the community health program that is all individual work bases. Behaviorism is study of behavior rather than the study of the human mind. Constructivism (I’m going off social constructivism) is when learners share individual perspectives with others and construct understanding together that could not happen individually. Higher Order Thinking is critical thinking. Allowing students to process the information and take an abstract look at the material.
So What?
My personal learning theory is social constructivism because working in groups is realistic. Working with peers allows for listening and getting new ideas from people. Students on different cognitive levels still have the opportunity to me learning from each other. They can help teach each other information in a different perspective. Life is social and I believe learning this way is essential. Learning in groups will allow for more hands. Its active learning and more fun! For the most part students learn better this way and they retain information better when they teach someone else.
Now What?
Step 1- Social Constructivism translates into my teaching strategies for the future is how my class will be set up. Students will have the opportunity to work with classmates and to seek out people in the community and learn from them. My class will have activities, but they will have a purpose. They will learn hands on; learning by doing!
Step 2- I need to improve my knowledge on Kholberg's Moral Development and Erikson's Stages. Understanding and having more information on these theories would help me to better progress my students throughout the different stages. Progressing positively through moral development and psychosocial development will make my students become better students and better members of society. Positive progression! This way they can be more effective moved through the stages. They will morally do what is right. This should hopefully turn into motivation. I need to improve my understanding on how to progressively move students through both of these stages. Our textbook offers situations and how to's to do this. I will need to study this more in depth.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
b.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment