Monday, February 15, 2010

Special Needs and Learning Differences Case Study Analysis

1.What classic symptoms of a learning disability does Nathan exhibit?
Nathan exhibits the classic symptoms of ADHD. Nathan is distracted easily and very forgetful.

2. What accommodations has Nathan received in the past?
Nathan was accommodated in the past by being placed in resource classes and being placed on prescription drugs specified for ADHD.

3. What strategies would you recommend to help Nathan work with his learning disability? Why?
As Nathan's teacher I would implement some strategies in my classroom by using list, calendars, and charts for assignments due and what the finish work looks like, I would encourage him to frequently visit the list to look at what is due to help him stay on task. I would also give Nathan a personal assignment sheet. During each class period I would mark off if he turned in his assignment or not. This would help Nathan to remember visually if he turned in the required work or not. Lastly, I would play classical/peaceful music when test and assignments are given to help keep him focused on the task at hand.

4. How many students like Nathan will you likely have in your classes? Justify your response by summarizing the information from a link or reference (include the link/reference).
ADHD affects three to five percent of the population and is one of the most common child behavior disorders. http://www.ldonline.org/article/Helping_the_Student_with_ADHD_in_the_Classroom:_Strategies_for_Teachers


No comments:

Post a Comment